I enjoy teaching...
...teaching helps me to improve and brush up my knowledge and also understanding of the subject. My students provide me with fresh ideas through their questions and findings. Also, I find it exciting and challenging to find different methods of explaining complex topics and to make it more interesting to my students. I insistently encourage my students to work in groups — especially in laboratory activities. This prepares them for collaboration, planning and design strategy. The key features of my classes are: define the aim of each class and the lecture series as whole, engage the students, respect the views and ideas of students, and consider each student special.
I believe that modern understandings of Structural Geology and Rock Deformation are no more restricted in describing the geometry and disposition of rock-architecture but closely integrated to other subjects like Rheology, Solid Earth Geophysics, Metamorphic Petrology and advanced mechanics. Most of my courses are designed integrating all such parameters.
Before joining IIT Kanpur, I have taught Structural Geology and Tectonics in Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand (2014-15). In ETH Zurich, I taught for eight semesters (2009-2012). The courses include Rock Physics; Rock Deformation; Microstructure; Rheology and Seismic Anisotropy.
ONLINE NPTEL STRUCTURAL GEOLOGY COURSE for undergraduate students: YouTube Playlist
Here are the courses I have been teaching in IIT Kanpur
Workshop Teaching and Invited Lectures
- Ruhr-University Bochum. Germany, 2018
- Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 2015
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, India, 2014
- Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 2013
- University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 2013
- Ruhr-University Bochum. Germany, 2012
- University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 2012
- GNS Science, Wellington, New Zealand, 2012
- University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2012
- EURISPET – "Experimental Petrology and Rock Deformation”- European Intensive Seminars, ETH, Zurich. 2010
- University of Calcutta, India, 2010
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India, 2009
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India, 2007
- ETH, Zurich, Switzerland, 2007