Kanpur and around - some information for the tourist:
Kanpur is an old industrial hub in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, by the banks of the river Ganga. The IIT campus is situated on the outskirts of the city, and the river banks are close by.
Information about reaching Kanpur, may be found on this page.
Following are some places within a day's drive from IIT. Vehicles may be hired from the campus.
Within 2.5 hrs drive:
(1) Lucknow, the state capital.
(2) Some bird-watching spots - January is the season for migratory birds.
About 4-5 hrs drive:
(1) Orchha, Jhansi.
(1) Agra, Fatehpur Sikri, Bharatpur - Keoladeo Ghana bird sanctuary.
(2) Khajuraho. Nearby: Panna national park, Raneh Falls.
(3) Varanasi, Sarnath. Could be reached by overnight train too.
Dudhwa national park.
About 10-12 hrs drive:
(1) Corbett national park.
(2) Lalkuan/Kathgodam, to get to the Kumaon Himalayas region (could be reached by overnight train too).
Further on to Nainital, Ranikhet.
Haridwar/Rishikesh, to get to the Garhwal Himalayas region.
be snow on the usual trek routes in both Kumaon and Garhwal, but one could visit different places in these regions to get