Nalinaksh S. Vyas
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur - 208016, INDIA
Phone: 0512 2597040 (O), 0512 2598423 (H)
Fax: + 91 512 2597232, 2590007
Chairman,- Technology Mission for Indian Railways (TMIR)
Ministry of Railways, Government of India
Professor- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 1999
Invited Professor- INSA Lyon, France, 2005
Associate Professor- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 1994–99
Visiting Professor- National Chung-Cheng University, Taiwan, 1996
Indo-US Fellow- Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA, 1994.
Assistant Professor- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 1987-94.
Apprentice Engg- Godrej & Boyce Mfg Company Pvt. Ltd, Bombay, 1980 - 81.
Visiting Professor- Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 2013, 2014
Visiting Professor- University of Mauritius, 2013-2017
Visiting Professor- City University of Hong Kong, 2018
Visiting Professor- Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, China, 2018
Chairman - Technology Mission for Indian Railways (TMIR), May, 2015
Vice Chancellor- Rajasthan Technical University, 2013 - 15
Member Board of Governors- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) Jodhpur, 2014
Member Executive Committee- AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education), 2014
Member Board of Governors- J L Nehru Aluminium Research, Design & Dev Centre, Nagpur, 2016
Chairman - Tech Systems Development Program, DST, Min of S&T, 2016
Member- Advisory Group of Experts (AGE), ‘Make in India’ in Railways, NITI Aayog, 2015 -
Member- Advanced Manufacturing Technology Program, DST, 2016
Chairman- Expert Group on Smart Manufacturing - Automation and ICT
Advanced Robotics (AR) & IoT, DST, Govt of India, 2016
Head - Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 2008-11
Head- Nuclear Engg & Technology Program, IIT Kanpur, 2008-11
Head - Centre for Robotics, IIT Kanpur, 2008
Mission Coordinator - Technology Mission on Railway Safety, Govt of India, 2005-09
Chairman - Automotive Parc, National Program on Micro & Smart Structures, NPMASS, 2006 - 2015
Project Coordinator- Nano-Satellite, JUGNU Project with ISRO, 2009 – 2012.
Project Coordinator- Rural Technology Action Group, RuTAG @ IITK, Office of the Principal Scientifics Advisor, Govt. of India, 2013
Consortium Leader- Electronic Stability Program, Core Group on Automotive Research, DST, 2006 -09
Member - Expert Task Force on IVHM of LCA (Light Combat Aircraft), Aeronautical Defense Agency (ADA), 2014
Founding Head - Innovation Lab – 4i Lab, IIT Kanpur, 2003 – 2009
Founding Director- International Society for Engg Asset Management, Australia, 2006
Editor (mid-Asia)- International Jnl of Engineering Asset Management, 2005-10
Editor- ISSS Journal (International Society of Smart Systems), 2008 - 13
Editor- Advances in Vibration Engineering, 2008
Editor - Intln Jnl of Condition Monitoring & Diagnostic Engg Mgmt (COMADEM),
Member- Working Group on Energy Research, Planning Comm., 2000.
- Featured by India Today (2010), as one of the 20 Innovators Changing Our Lives
- Awadh Samman, 2009, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- 4th position, HSSC, Madhya Pradesh Board, 1975
Technology Achievements (Recent -last five years)
- Design and development of India’s first nanosatellite, JUGNU, launched from Sriharikota on Oct 12, 2012 (with ISRO).
- Successful completion and transfer of technology in the TECHNOLOGY MISSION FOR RAILWAY SAFETY, involving a dozen projects like SIMRAN, Derailment Detection Devices, WILD etc (with RDSO Lucknow).
- Development of State-of-Art Instrumentation and Diagnostic Tools for Thermal Power Plant Monitoring and installed for the first time in India in Super Thermal Power Station, Ropar, Punjab (with CSIO Chandigarh & BHEL Hyderabad).
- Development of the first commercially viable MEMS based Pressure Sensors in the country for Automotive Applications, under the NPMASS (with SCL Chandigarh and Pricol Coimbatore). Monthly requirement- over 55,000 Nos.