He obtained his Ph.D from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India in 1991.
After a postdoc at the University of British Columbia, he joined IIT Kanpur in 1993.
Educational qualifications (Graduation onwards):
University of Burdwan, India
University of Burdwan, India
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Izaac Walton Killam Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of British Columbia, Canada, 1992-93.
- Associate of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 1994.
- Young Scientist Medal of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 1995.
- Anil Kumar Bose Memorial Award of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 1997.
- Alexander-Von Humboldt Fellowship, Germany, 2002-2003.
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 2004.
- Bronze medal from Chemical Research Society of India, 2006.
- Ramanna Fellowship, DST, Government of India, 2006-2009, 2010-2013.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, CSIR, Government of India, 2007.
- Rahul and Namita Gautam Chair Professorship, 2008-2011.
- Sajani Kumar Roy Memorial Chair Professorship, 2011-2014.
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (FNA), 2013.
- J. C. Bose National Fellowship, DST, Government of India, 2013.
- Silver medal of Chemical Research Society od India (CRSI),2015.
- N. C. Nigam chair professor, IIT Kanpur, 2015-2018.
- Fellow of National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc), 2017.
Major scientific fields of interest:
- Structure and dynamics of molecular solutions in bulk and confined systems.
- Structure and dynamics of molecular clusters with charge defects.
- Chemical reaction dynamics in condensed phases and in clusters.
- Molecular properties of solid-liquid, liquid-liquid and liquid-vapour interfaces.
- Structure and dynamics of supercooled and supercritical fluids.
- Structure, dynamics and energetics of biological systems.
- Computer simulations of clusters and condensed phases using classical and
Full list of publications
- Anisotropic structure and dynamics of the solvation shell of a benzene solute in liquid water from ab-initio molecular dynamics simulations
A. Choudhary, and A. Chandra, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
18, 6132-6145 (2016).
- Ultrafast Vibrational Echo Spectroscopy of Liquid Water from First Principles Simulations
D. Ojha, and A. Chandra, J. Phys. Chem. B
119, 11215-11228 (2015).
- Dynamics of supercritical methanol of varying density from first principles simulations: Hydrogen bond fluctuations, vibrational spectral diffusion and orientational relaxation
Vivek K. Yadav, and A. Chandra, J. Chem. Phys.
138, 224501 (2013).
- Aqueous Basic Solutions: Hydroxide Solvation, Structural Diffusion, and Comparison to the Hydrated Proton
D. Marx, A. Chandra,> and M. E. Tuckerman, Chem. Rev.
120, 2174 (2010).
- Vibrational spectral diffusion and hydrogen bond dynamics in heavy water from first principles
Bhabani S. Mallik,> A. Semparithi and A. Chandra, J. Phys. Chem. A
112, 5104 (2008).
- Connecting Solvation Shell Structure to Proton Transport Kinetics in Hydrogen--Bonded Networks via Population Correlation Functions
A. Chandra, M. Tuckerman and D. Marx, Phys. Rev. Lett.
99, 145901 (2007).
- Electron solvation in water-ammonia mixed
clusters: Structure, energetics and the nature of localization states of the excess
S. Pratihar and A. Chandra ,
J. Chem. Phys.
126, 234510 (2007).
- Creating Interfaces by Stretching the Solvents is Key to Metallic Ammonia Solutions
A. Chandra and D.Marx, Angewandte Chemie Intl. Ed., 46, 3676 (2007).
- Structure and Dynamics of OH- (aq)
M.E. Tuckerman, A. Chandra , D Marx, Accounts of Chemical Research , 39, 9719-9725 (2006).
- Effects of ion atmosphere on hydrogen-bond dynamics in aqueous electrolyte solutions
A. Chandra, Phys. Rev. Lett., 85, 768-771 (2000).