- Development of reconstruction schemes for fluorescence optical tomography (with diffuse and SP3 approximations) for early cancer detection.
- Development of stochastic and dynamic shape based reconstruction algorithms.
- Development of modified FEM based numerical solutions for subsurface electromagnetic propagation in applications such as ground penetrating radar based imaging.
- Explicit (spline) and implicit(radial basis function) representation based level set reconstruction schemes in subsurface electromagnetic shape-tomography.
- Hessian based post-reconstruction local convergence analysis of Tikhonov regularized Gauss-Newton approaches to nonlinear-tomographic reconstruction problems.
- Development and analysis of reconstruction schemes for photoacoustic tomography for tissue imaging.
- Tuning and application of Kalman filtering based approaches to reconstruction problems in nonlinear tomography and tracking.
- Phase-contrast tomography for low-dose X-ray imaging.
- Electrical impedance tomography for biomedical and subsurface imaging.
Areas of Experience
- Development and analysis of reconstruction schemes for nonlinear tomographic imaging.
Specific application areas : Subsurface imaging (Ground penetrating radar), refraction and diffraction optical tomography, magnetic resonance elastography, diffusion optical tomography, fluorescence optical tomography, phase-contrast tomography.
- Nonlinear regularization
Application of numerical linear algebra based analysis methods to characterization of solutions of nonlinear regularization formulations occurring in ill-posed inverse problems.
- Radial basis function approximations.
Application of these in novel shape reconstruction algorithms in nonlinear electromagnetic tomography.
- Estimation approaches to linear and nonlinear inverse problems.
Application of Kalman filtering based approaches to reconstruction problems in nonlinear tomography, and tracking.
- Use of wavelets in tomographic imaging.
- Electromagnetic wave propagation through inhomogeneous media including numerical solutions of electromagnetic scattering problems.
Papers in Refereed Journals
Naren Naik, Rick Beatson, and Jerry Eriksson, "Radial-basis-function level-set-based regularized Gauss-Newton-filter reconstruction scheme for dynamic shape tomography", Applied Optics, Vol. 53, Issue 29, pp. 6872-6884, 10 October 2014.
(Also selected into: Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics, 9(12), Dec 8, 2014, Editors: Andrew Dunn and Anthony Durkin).
Naren Naik, R. M. Vasu, and M. R. Ananthasayanam, "Single-resolution and multiresolution extended-Kalman-filter-based reconstruction approaches to optical refraction tomography", Applied Optics, 49(6), 20 February 2010.
Naren Naik, Rick Beatson, Jerry Eriksson and Elijah van Houten, "An implicit radial basis function based reconstruction approach to electromagnetic shape-tomography", Inverse Problems, 25(2):025004, February 2009.
Naren Naik, Jerry Eriksson, Pieter de Groen and Hichem Sahli,"A nonlinear iterative reconstruction and analysis approach to shape-based approximate electromagnetic tomography", IEEE Trans. Geosc. and Rem. Sens., 46(5):1558-1574, May 2008.
Naren Naik, A.Selvarajan, R.M Vasu ,"A new perturbation solution to the scalar wave equation", Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, pp 213-221, Special Issue on Optoelectronics, Vol-76, No.2, March-April 1996.
- Mukesh Kumar Singh, Govind Sharma, Naren Naik, "Selection of an optimal relay in presence of interference and fault detection scheme for cluster-based wireless sensor networks",
Sensor Journal, Under Review (2014 Nov.).
Shyam Mohan M, Naren Naik, R. M. O. Gemson,M. R. Ananthasayanam,"A Heuristic Reference Recursive Recipe for the Menacing
problem of Adaptively Tuning the Kalman Filter Statistics.Part-1, Formulation and Simulation Studies."
Shyam Mohan M, Naren Naik, R. M. O. Gemson, M. R. Ananthasayanam,"A Heuristic Reference Recursive Recipe for the Menacing
problem of Adaptively Tuning the Kalman Filter Statistics.Part-2, Real Data Studies."
Refereed conference publications
Prabodh Kumar Pandey , Naren Naik , Prabhat Munshi , Asima Pradhan," Error estimates for universal back-projection based photo-acoustic
tomography",Europena conference on Bio-medical Optics(SPIE),22-26 June 2015,Munich,Germany.
Nishigandha Patil, Naren Naik, Yamini Yadav and Asima Pradhan, "An SP3-approximation based fully non-linear reconstruction scheme for fluorescence optical tomography",
Photonics 2014 (12th International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics), 13-16 Dec 2014, I. I. T., Kharagpur.
Mukesh Kumar Singh, Govind Sharma, Naren Naik, "Joint optimization of SINR and power allocation to relays in cluster-based wireless sensor networks",
SPCOM 2014, 22-25 July 2014, I. I. Sc., Bangalore.
Ashish Vyas, Rishabh Maheshwari, Pradeep Kumar, and Naren Naik, "Dual antenna array for radiolocation of RCIED trigger", NCC-2014, I.I.T., Kanpur.
Ashwin Yadav, Naren Naik, M.R. Ananthasayanam, Abhinav Gaur and Y.N. Singh, "A constant gain Kalman filter approach to target tracking in wireless sensor networks", IEEE 7th Intl. Conf. industrial and information systems, 6-9 Aug 2012, I.I.T., Madras, Chennai, India.
Naren Naik, Jerry Eriksson and Hichem Sahli, "An analysis of a Tikhonov regularized Gauss-Newton reconstruction approach to GPR tomography",
pp 67-70, Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, Delft, The Netherlands, 21-24 June, 2004.
Edgard Nyssen, Naren Naik, and Bart Truyen, "Piecewise multilinear PDF modelling, using an ML approach", pp 752-760,
Structural, Syntactic, and Statistical Pattern Recognition, Eds., Terry Caelli etal., Proceedings of the Joint IAPR International Workshops SSPR 2002 and SPR 2002, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, August 6-9, 2002, Springer Verlag 2002.
Naren Naik and R.M Vasu ,"A wavelet based multiresolution extended Kalman filter approach to the reconstruction problem of curved ray optical tomography", pp 156-165, High-Speed Imaging and Sequence Analysis,
Eds. Alan M. Frank, James S Walton, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 3642, 1999.
Naren Naik, T.Srinivas, and R.M Vasu , "Application of a perturbation solution to the scalar wave equation to the analysis of longitudinally varying optical waveguides", pp 513-516, Vol.2,
Proceedings of the International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics, New Delhi, India, Dec 14-18, 1998.
Naren Naik and R.M Vasu ,"An extended Kalman filter based reconstruction approach to curved ray optical tomography", pp 860-864, Vol.2, Proceedings of the International Conference on Optics and Optoelectronics, Dehradun, India,
Dec 9-12, 1998.(Also selected for Proc. SPIE 3729, Selected Papers from International Conference on Optics and Optoelectronics '98, 153 (April 29, 1999); doi:10.1117/12.346775;http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.346775 ).
Naren Naik and A.Selvarajan, "A perturbation series solution to the scalar wave equation", pp 325-328,
Proc. of the Conference on Emerging Optoelectronic Technologies, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India , July 18-22 , 1994.
- Naren Naik "Level-set based explicit and implicit reconstruction approaches to electromagnetic shape tomography", Invited for special session on advances in model based inversion, 2011 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and 2011 USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (AP-S/URSI 2011), July 3-8 2011, Spokane, Washington, USA.
- Naren Naik and Jerry Eriksson, "A Hessian based numerical convergence analysis of a dual-grid Tikhonov regularized Gauss-Newton reconstruction approach to electromagnetic tomography", PIERS 2011, Mar 23-28, Marrakesh, Morocco. (PIERS: Progress in Electromagnetics Research).
- Naren Naik, Rick Beatson, Jerry Eriksson and Elijah van Houten, "An implicit radial basis function based reconstruction approach to electromagnetic shape-tomography", pp 132-133, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Inverse Problems: Modelling and Simulation(IPMS), May 26-30, 2008, Fethiye-TURKEY.
- M.D.J. McGarry, N. Naik, E.E.W. van Houten, "Reconstructing spatially varying Rayleigh damping parameters in full-field elastography using the adjoint residual", pp 54, Sixth International Conference on the Ultrasonic Measurement and Imaging of Tissue Elasticity, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, November 2-5, 2007.
- Kaizad Rustomji and Naren Naik, "Model Based Subsurface soil characterization: Forward modelling", 1st year Project report for ISRO project STC/EE/20120092.
- Shyam Mohan M., Naren Naik, R. M. O. Gemson and M. R. Ananthasayanam, "A heuristic reference recursive recipe for tuning the menacing Kalman filter statistics",(Technical report,TR/EE2015/401).
- Inverse Problems
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering
- Journal of Electronic Imaging
- Applied Numerical Mathematics
- IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing
- Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Sadhna.
Recent Invited Lectures
- Basics of Kalman filters and its tuning issues, at the Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, Secunderabad, 27 Aug 2013.
- A Hessian based reconstruction analysis of a Tikhonov regularized Gauss-Newton approach to subsurface electromagnetic tomography, at the Supercomputer Education and Research Center, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Dec 2013.