House # 619, IIT Campus, Kanpur-208016,
+91-512-2591828, 6798425 (Home)
Fax Number: +91-512-6797395 (Work)
Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics,
Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT
Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT
Research Associate, Department of Civil Engineering,
Teaching Assistant/Lecturer, Department of Civil
Management Trainee/Junior Engineer, Ocean Engineering
Department, Engineers India Limited,
TA 101 - Engineering Graphics
2. ESO 204 - Mechanics of Solids
3. CE 222 - Structural Analysis
4. CE 321 - Structural Design I
5. CE 322 - Structural Design II
6. CE 351 - Materials Quality and Management
7. CE 620 - Structural Dynamics
8. CE 629 - Earthquake Analysis and Design of Structures
9. CE 721 - Random Vibrations
1. Agarwal, S.K. and V.K. Gupta (1985). Deflection control measures for slabs as per IS:456-1978, Bridge and Structural Engineer, 15(1), 21-30.
2. Agarwal, S.K. and V.K. Gupta (1985). Letters to the editor: slab deflection control to IS: 456-1978, The Ind. Concrete J., 59(4), 88-89.
V.K. and M.D. Trifunac (1990). A note on contributions of ground
torsion to seismic response of symmetric
multistoried buildings, Earthq.
V.K. (1990). New ideas on response spectrum superposition and modal
interaction, Proc. Ninth Sym. Earthq.
5. Gupta, V.K. and M.D. Trifunac (1990). Response of multistoried buildings to ground translation and rocking during earthquakes, J. Prob. Eng. Mech., 5(3), 138-145.
7. Trifunac, M.D. and V.K. Gupta (1991). Pseudo relative acceleration spectrum, J. Eng. Mech. (ASCE), 117(4), 924-927.
V.K. and M.D. Trifunac (1991). Seismic response
of multistoried buildings including the effects of soil-structure
interaction, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
B. and V.K. Gupta (1994). Statistics of ordered peaks in a random
response, Proc. Tenth Symp. Earthq.
P. and V.K. Gupta (1994).
A note on dynamic eccentricities obtained
by using a stochastic approach and IS:1893-1984, Proc.
Tenth Symp. Earthq.
B. and V.K. Gupta (1995). A probabilistic assessment
of seismic damage in ductile structures, Earthq.
V.K. and M.D. Trifunac (1995). Discussion on a
paper by W.-H. Wu and H.A. Smith, Earthq.
U. and V.K. Gupta (1997). A critical analysis of the gust
factor method for chimneys, Proc. Second National Seminar on Wind
A. and V.K. Gupta (1997). Response transfer
functions of multiply supported secondary systems,
Proc. 14th SMiRT Conf.,
34. Basu, B. and V.K. Gupta (1997). On wavelet-analyzed seismic response of SDOF systems, Symp. on Time-Frequency and Wavelet Analysis, ASME Sixteenth Biennial Conf. on Mechanical Vib. and Noise, Sacramento, U.S.A.
36. Basu, U. and V.K. Gupta (1998). A note on the codal gust factor provisions for concrete chimneys, The Ind. Conc. J., 72(5), 259-269.
43. Basu, B. and V.K. Gupta (1999). On equivalent linearization using wavelet transform, J. Vib. Acoust. (ASME), 121(4), 429-432.
55. Ray Chaudhuri, S. and V.K. Gupta (2002). Variability in seismic response of secondary systems due to uncertain soil properties, Eng. Structures, 24, 1601-1613. (erratum on Page 847 in the May 2003 issue)
58. Gupta, V.K. (2002). Wavelet-based random vibrations in earthquake engineering, Proc. Seminar on Structural Dynamics in Civil Engineering (SDCE-2002), Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 50-65.
Chakraborti, A. and V.K. Gupta (2005). Scaling
of strength reduction factors for degrading elasto-plastic oscillators, Earthq.
62. Sarkar, K. and V.K. Gupta (2005). Wavelet-based simulation of Spatially Correlated and Spectrum-Compatible Accelerograms, Proc. National Symposium on Structural Dynamics, Random Vibrations & Earthquake Engineering (NSSD-2005), Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 69-78.
65. Karmakar, D. and V.K. Gupta (2006). Design spectrum-based scaling and parametric study of strength reduction factor spectrum, Proceedings of the 8th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, U.S.A., Paper 615, 1-10.
67. Das, S., V.K. Gupta, and R. Pradeep Kumar (2006). Design force ratio spectrum for performance-based design in case of multiple events, Proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, Switzerland, Paper 46, 1-9.
S., V.K. Gupta, and V. Srimahavishnu (2007). Damage-based design with no
repairs for multiple events and its sensitivity to seismicity model, Earthq.
Karmakar, D. and V.K. Gupta (2007). Estimation
of strength reduction factors via normalized pseudo-acceleration
response spectrum, Earthq.
Das, S. and V.K. Gupta (2008). Wavelet-based
simulation of spectrum-compatible aftershock accelerograms, Earthq.
Gupta, V.K. (2009). Short communication: A new
approximation for spectral velocity ordinates at short periods, Earthq.
74. Gupta, V.K., M. Kumar, and D. Kumar (2009). Peak floor accelerations in multistoried buildings, Proceedings of the International Conference on Earthquake Engineering—On the Occasion of the 40th Anniversary of Banja Luka Earthquake, Banja Luka, B&H, Keynote Lecture, Volume on Selected Topics in Earthquake Engineering—From Earthquake Source to Seismic Design and Hazard Mitigation, 217-235.
76. Das, S. and V.K. Gupta (2011). A wavelet-based parametric characterization of temporal features of earthquake accelerograms, Eng. Structures, 33, 2173-2185.
S. and V.K. Gupta (2013). Directivity pulses in near-fault ground motions—I:
Identification, extraction and modelling, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
S. and V.K. Gupta (2013). Directivity pulses in near-fault ground motions—II:
Estimation of pulse parameters, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
V.K. and V.K. Gupta (2016). On planar seismic wavefront modeling for estimating
rotational ground motions: Case of 2-D SH line-source, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
K., V.K. Gupta, and R.C. George (2016). Wavelet-based generation of spatially
correlated accelerograms, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
K.K. and V.K. Gupta (2017). Near-fault fling-step ground motions:
Characteristics and simulation, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
82. Pathak, S. and V.K. Gupta (2017). On nonstationarity-related errors in modal combination rules of the response spectrum method, J. Sound Vib., 407, 106-127.
83. Samdaria, N. and V.K. Gupta (2018). A new model for spectral velocity ordinates at long periods, Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 47, 169-194.
84. Singla, V.K. and V.K. Gupta (2018). Planar seismic wavefront modeling for estimating rotational ground motions: Case of 2D P-SV line source, J. Eng. Mech. (ASCE), 144(7).
85. Sen, N. and V.K. Gupta (2018). On estimation of seismic damage from ductility and hysteretic energy demands in equivalent oscillators using linear response, Eng. Structures, 172, 663-686.
86. Singla, V.K. and V.K. Gupta (2019). Surface rotations due to kinematic shear dislocation point source in a multilayered elastic medium, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 109(1), 433-447.
87. Singla, V.K. and V.K. Gupta (2019). Physics-based planar wavefront model to estimate seismic rocking spectra using translational spectra, J. Eng. Mech. (ASCE), 145(4).
S., S. Das, and V.K. Gupta (2019). Wavelet-based generation of
accelerogram-consistent, spectrum-compatible motions: New algorithms and
short-period overestimation, Soil Dyn. Earthq.
89. M.G. Harikrishnan and V.K. Gupta (2019). Scaling of residual displacements in terms of elastic and inelastic spectral displacements for existing SDOF systems, Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib. (in press).
· Young Engineer Award, 1997 from the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)
· Editor, ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology (May, 1998–March, 2013)
· Vice-President, Indian Society of Earthquake Technology (ISET) (April, 2003–March, 2007)
· Life Fellow, Indian Society of Earthquake Technology (ISET) (since February, 2003)
· Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering (January, 2004–December, 2014)
· Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) (since January, 2005)